The Basehor Community Library is hosting the first ever Basehor Library Independent Film Festival, BLIFF, a competitive film festival for Basehor area residents. Tell us your story in film. Show your creative genius.
Here are the Rules:
- Two categories: Adult (19+) Teen (13-18) The director must be at least 13 years old.
- You can enter only one film as the director. You can help or act in other director’s films.
- Your film can be no longer than 5 minutes in length, must be PG-13 or under and an original work.
- Your film should be saved in one the following formats: .avi .mov .mpeg .wmv
- You must complete the entry form (available at the library and on our website) and sign the release for your work when you submit your film in the contest.
The deadline to enter your film is Friday, September 19, 2014, 5:00 p.m.
Submit your film to us on a flash drive. Please, please, please do not give us your only copy.
Library staff will preview each film before giving it to the judges. If your film is too long or not PG-13 or lower, we will contact you and give you an opportunity to edit. However, the deadline is still Friday, September 19. So, last minute submissions may lose the opportunity to resubmit.
BLIFF awards will be given to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category. There will also be one People’s Choice award, the Reuben (Basehor, not the sandwich!), awarded the evening of the Film Festival.
Your film will be judged on the following merits:
- Production Value
- Special Effects
You must use at least 5 of the items or phrases below in your film. It is your choice, but it must be recognizable by the judges. You will have to list which ones you used on your entry form. No points are awarded for using more than 5. You can interpret these literally or stretch the reference. For example: Ring (Bell tone? Jewelry? Watermark on a table? Fairy? Worm? Ring around a rosie? Let your imagination go wild. Amaze us.)
- Peanut butter
- Sponge Bob reference
- Red shirt
- Basehor landmark or the high school mascot – Bobcat
- Garden gnome
- Feather duster
- Nerf gun
- Sonic cup
- Wizard of Oz reference
- James Bond reference
- Slow motion scene
- Chase scene
One of the following phrases:
- “I’ll be back.”
- “Let it go.”
- “Taco Tuesday.”
- “Holy ___________, Batman!” (You fill in the blank)
The Basehor Library Independent Film Festival Award Show will be Saturday, September 27, 2014, 6:30 p.m. at the Basehor Community Library. We will announce the award winners and screen as many films as time permits. Everyone is invited for an evening of film, food and fun. Souvenir compilation DVDs will be for sale.
“Pick up a camera. Shoot something. No matter how small, no matter how cheesy, no matter whether your friends and your sister star in it. Put your name on it as director. Now you’re a director.” –James Cameron